Madalena Patrício is Director of the Department of Medical Education at the Faculdade de Medicine da Universidade de Lisboa (FMUL) and member of its Scientific Council. She integrates the Center for Evidence Based Medicine where she leads the BEME Collaboration Group (Best Evidence Medical Education), where she coordinates a Systematic Review on the reliability, validity and feasibility of the OSCE. She is Professor of Medical Education at the Institute of Introduction to Medicine.
Internationally she occupies the following positions
- President ex-officio of AMEE (an International Association for Medical Education)
- Member of AMEE Executive Committee (www.amee.org)
- Chair of BEME (Best Evidence in Medical Education) Board (an international group dedicated to the development of evidence-based education in the medical and health professions (www.bemecollaboration.org)
- WHO external consultant (World Health Organization / www.who.org)
- Founding Member of ASPIRE-to-Excellence programme (an AMEE initiative for the International Recognition of Excellence in Education (www.aspire-to-excellence.org)
- Member of the ASPIRE Board
- Member of the Jury of the Karolinska Institutet Prize on Research on Medical Education
- Chair of the Miriam Friedman Ben David Educator award Committee, to recognize extraordinary efforts and contributions in terms of the design and implementation of innovative methods or approaches to teaching, curriculum and courses.
In addition to the assessment of clinical competences based on OSCE, the areas of greatest interest are: Humanization of Medicine through Community Teaching, Evidence-based Education, and Social Responsibility of Medical Schools.
As regards to scientific activity, she is co-author and co-editor of two books, 'The Definitive Guide to the OSCE: The Objective Structured Clinical Examination as a performance assessment’ (2016) and 'Manual of Good Educational Practices in Health Professions' (2002). She has published more than 20 papers (first author in 12) in journals of international circulation with scientific arbitration, has more than 300 presentations in conferences or other scientific events of which more than a 180 by invitation of respective organizations.
Madalena Patricio was awarded the following international distinctions
- AMEE Life Time Award Achievement, 2013
- Honorary Member of the ‘Reial Académie de Medicina de Catalunya’ (Royal Academy of Medicine of Catalonia), 2012.